Thursday, December 29, 2022

Getting Started with Station Rotation



As a high school speech teacher, I believe in the benefits of a noisy classroom. Not only do I struggle to sit still myself, but I think my students (Mostly seniors and larger than me) also have difficulty with prolonged periods of sitting at desks. When we moved online due to COVID-19, I tried to incorporate physical or mental movement to allow for brain breaks, increased concentration, and a release of extra energy for deeper learning. As we returned to in-person classrooms, I wanted to continue using these shorter bursts of learning that allow students to acquire knowledge, practice, and demonstrate mastery in various ways.

To do this, I started sharing templates and ideas with colleagues who were also seeking ways to engage students in multiple modalities (online, in-person, whole group, individual, etc.). Through all of the changes related to COVID-19, I realized that I was creating stations for my students. These stations empower students to drive their learning, accommodate different learning styles, and allow me to spend more time with individual students.

Through collaboration with other teachers in my school, I learned more about how stations can enhance classroom learning and how they can be adapted to fit the needs of the students, the lesson, the content, and the context of the learning situation. Stations are flexible and allow teachers to create unique experiences for students and adapt to meet the goals of a particular lesson.

When I started using stations, I felt overwhelmed and thought they would take a lot of time to develop. However, after working through a few mini-station lessons with students, I realized that stations were often just a reimagination of activities and experiences I had already created in the past. I also realized that I needed to train and prepare my students for this learning experience. To help students stay on track and reflect on their learning, I use an accountability sheet (typically digital). This sheet encourages students to evaluate their learning and collect or create artifacts of their learning. These sheets can be used to study for a summative assessment or to support writing an essay later in the unit. The accountability sheets also allow me to assess the effectiveness of the learning experience.

I plan to further explore in 2023:

1. Station creation, 
2. Keeping students accountable during stations,   
3. And turning stations into playlists.

So, why might teachers consider using station rotation in 2023? Station rotation allows for differentiated instruction because activities can be tailored to meet students' needs, abilities, and interests. It also allows for flexible pacing and the opportunity for students to revisit activities or experiences as needed. Stations may include student choice, which leads to even more differentiation.

In addition, station rotation increases engagement because students have multiple activities to complete and a limited amount of time to do so. This can help keep them focused and interested in the various learning experiences they are completing. Station rotation also increases opportunities for collaboration because students are often placed in small groups and asked to work together on tasks. This helps foster teamwork and interpersonal skills.

Finally, station rotation is flexible for both teachers and students. Teachers can craft activities that meet the needs of their students and assess student learning in real time. Students may have flexibility over their pace and place of learning and the opportunity to revisit formative assessments or activities as needed. Station rotation can also be a fun and engaging way for students to learn, leading to increased motivation and retention of information. Overall, station rotation is a useful strategy for teachers looking to engage their students in various learning activities and experiences.


Want to learn more about station rotation? Check out this station rotation PD resource:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by @Steph_SMac