Sunday, October 4, 2020

Empowering and Engaging: The Professional Development Strategies that Teachers Deserve


Teaching through Zoom has its challenges, but we have adapted and changed during the past few months to a new learning modality. Within this new teaching environment, I have learned to think about education as more of an experience than a single segment of time. That experience can extend well beyond a single 45-minute period and has infinite possibilities for pace and space. While having several choices can feel daunting or overwhelming, I also believe that this flexibility is empowering and can lead to the innovation that we have been reaching for in our education system for the past several years.  

My school district is about to switch from a remote block schedule to a hybrid nine-period day, with students coming two to three days a week. Approximately 40% of students will be in the building on a given day. Teachers are shifting from 75-minutes blocks every other day to 40 minute periods daily with three groups of students either in the classroom or remote. During passing periods, teachers will be responsible for wiping down desks, setting up technology, tracking where students sit and preparing to connect with those three groups of students. Again, these factors are overwhelming, but teachers are resilient. This impossible list will somehow get done.


 


As we prepare for this significant shift in a week, I have an opportunity to lead three different professional development sessions on multiple occasions at various times throughout the week. Working with my vice principal, we crafted a schedule to give teachers optional professional development topics that will empower them to make the impossible possible. Those times are staggered with the hope that everyone will have the opportunity to attend at least one session. By reflecting on how best to deliver professional development and ease my colleagues' and friends' anxieties, I have drawn a few conclusions about the future of professional development and how to inspire teachers who, in turn, inspire their students. 


Keep sessions small. 



When possible, keep professional development more intimate. When there are large numbers of participants, people are less likely to speak up. It is easy to get lost or hide in a crowd. It is easy to start checking emails, grading, or surfing the web. When there are fewer people, there are more opportunities to get involved, share, and ask questions. Once the questions start rolling with one person, the metaphorical ball is in play. More questions can be asked, and again, with a small group, the professional development leader will have more time to answer questions in depth. Creating a safe and open environment makes everyone feel like they are seen and have a voice. 




Consider the people in the audience ahead of the session. 


A common misnomer about public speaking is that the speaker is the most important person in the room. In fact, it is the opposite. The people who matter most are the audience members - the ones in which who are receiving the intended message. If a speaker wants to be successful, they should encode their message to most effectively meet the audience's needs and expectations. That process starts with tailoring the message to who is in the room. As an instructional coach who works in a high school, my adult audience is composed of content area teachers who seek instructional strategies that relate to their disciplines. How a math teacher approaches instruction differs significantly from an English teacher or a physical education teacher. The examples that I provide colleagues based on their fields can draw them back into the conversation and imagine how a specific instructional approach or tech tool might enhance their students' classroom experience. As a speaker, my message may change to meet my audience's needs at each session - just like my instructional approach varies with my students each year. Again, finding ways to make your audience seem seen and validated through personalizing the message goes a long way with audience engagement. 


Make learning active. 




When we craft lessons for students, we often design lessons that ask students to be active. Professional development should take the same approach. When teachers can experience tech tools and instructional strategies from the student perspective, they will be far more likely to use them in the classroom. If teachers see that an approach works, they will incorporate it. Making learning active is also another way to engage educators. We are busy, we are tired, and if we are not drawn in, we won't listen - or we will check our email. Active learning leads to powerful results both with our students and when working with our peers.  


Differentiate strategies and create challenges for more advanced users. 


I tend to pack a lot into a short amount of time. While I may move too fast for some, that is my style, and I always admit that upfront. Teachers know that they will get a mental workout with me. Still, I find ways to level my training and differentiate with intention. In my slides, I embed resources and videos that can help newer users. I have started making gifs to demonstrate processes and model strategies to help visual learners, and I now have several slides with stopping points for questions in the beginning, middle, and end of my presentations. Also, I find time for teachers to play and experience, allowing them to imagine how they might use the strategy or tool. Teachers who are more advanced tech users can run with that strategy while I am answering more specific questions with teachers that may need more support. My other ploy for moving fast and leveling all teachers' experiences encourages them to follow-up with me. I want to work one-on-one with teachers so that I can move at their pace and meet them at their skill level. The best way to promote future collaboration and individual meetings is to allow teachers to dream up the possibilities during the session. Following up with handwritten cards and small prizes (mostly stickers or pencils) helps re-engage and reminds them to book a future appointment with me. 


Start with the takeaways. 



This past week, I had a revelation. At the end of my sessions, I typically create a slide with statements or ideas that I hope my colleagues take with them as they walk out the door - typically with a homemade cookie or sticker (pre-COVID). Why would I end with those takeaways when I could use those statements as a framework for our entire professional development conversation. When I say takeaways, I am not talking about objectives or learning targets. I am not referring to the use of educational buzzwords or theory-specific goals. I am addressing the "Look, dudes, this is what I actually mean" or the "Honestly, friends, this is what I truly hope you apply in your classrooms" statements. Instead of ending with these important ideas, I started with them, and it was another way to get the questions flowing and kept the conversation more charged. Professional development, like any speaking situation, is not about the speaker. It is about the audience. If the audience is actively participating and critically thinking, then the conversation is work. 





Teachers are rock stars who make the impossible possible every day. They DESERVE all the praise and love in the world - even though they often don’t receive it. My colleagues deserve quality instructional and technology support, and I am humbled daily by the notion that I get to partner with them and provide that love and (instructional and emotional) support. Bring on this next phase of instruction. No matter the outcome, we are in this together.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by @Steph_SMac