Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Getting Them Talking (Digitally Speaking)


Will they show up to the Zoom? Will the link work? Or will this be the moment that the internet decides to come to a screeching halt? These are the questions and anxieties that fill me on the first day of school in 2020. Instead of worrying about going to the wrong classroom at the wrong time or forgetting students' names, I am more preoccupied with the connectivity of my technology tools than anything else. I fear the spinning icon that indicates that my device is attempting to connect to the internet. This temporary reality has teachers across the country feeling like first-year teachers again as we are being challenged to rethink and retool our student engagement strategies. 


Take it slow with technology. 


We are teaching in an entirely new format. While we had preliminary experience in the spring with remote learning, we are still relatively new to this environment. This year, there are entirely new standards for delivering content, and the bar has been raised for both students and teachers. We are no longer crisis teaching; we are normalizing distance learning. As such, no matter your comfort level with technology, take it slow. We aren’t required to use ten different web applications and customized breakout rooms on day one. Instead, we should focus on building relationships and getting to know our students. It is okay to talk and challenge students to talk, too. Focusing on familiarizing ourselves with the digital classroom environment can alleviate the pressure of having to know every formative assessment tool. It is okay to walk before we run with technology tools and strategies. Remember, we do not need to implement every new feature in Zoom during the first week. It can provide us with the emotional and mental space to do what we do best - love kids. 




We need to establish Zoom norms and netiquette with students. 


Just like we would establish rules in a physical classroom environment, we need to talk about expectations and etiquette in a digital environment. In a face-to-face setting, I rarely spoke to my seniors about behavioral rules, although I make daily quips about being a good human and making good choices as they walk out the door (physical and digital). Now, I am finding myself opening a dialogue with them about netiquette and behavior on Zoom. This environment is new to them, and it's new to me. Reminding students to mute their mics when they are not talking and leave their video running are essential parts of this new communication model. Nonverbal communication still matters; they have to be intentional. Teaching students to use the emojis on Zoom is also a great way to do formative assessments and check-ins with students seamlessly. Students also need to know how to "raise their hands" and use the chat feature for questions or quick comments. Providing students with opportunities to practice these features and discuss how/why these features matter will make the classroom more interactive. By working together to set standards and create norms, students will feel more comfortable engaging with each other and with me. They will have more confidence in knowing that they are in a safe environment and that their voices matter. 


Establish norms in how you deliver instruction and how to demonstrate mastery, too. Reviewing and sharing the screen is a critical part of delivering content, and it takes longer on a screen. I am continually reminding myself to slow down. Demonstrate, model, and then give them time to access the material. Taking our time at first will pay off later in the semester. When I have used breakout rooms with students in Zoom, I have explained how I want my students to take notes so that I can be in on their conversation even when I am in a different breakout room. Using the same procedure for these notes shaves down on the demonstration time; after a few experiences, it will become second nature. While I am not advocating for using the same tools and procedures every class period, I am noting that there is comfort in routines. Routines set expectations in students' minds and bring a familiarity to the course that allows them to open up, engage, and become more active participants in the class. 



Breaking students into small groups helps. 


Unfortunately, this week, my district learned that preset breakout rooms in Zoom do not work on a Chrome operating system (Teachers are all on Chromebooks). That being said, the breakout rooms still function in manually created groups. Small groups are incredible places for students to learn to be more comfortable talking on screen. When they do not feel like they are under a microscope in a class of 30, they will unmute, relax, and be themselves. Pushing students into breakout rooms, even informally discussing a quick idea or concept, gets them talking. They miss face-to-face interactions and connections as much as we do. By being able to speak with their peers in an informal, smaller setting, they will begin to feel more comfortable. Allowing a few minutes to discuss a prompt also creates a sense of camaraderie that comes from shared experiences. I have started my lessons here and see myself starting my lessons each day with this practice, and even in the first week, I see a positive impact. 



We need to be ourselves.


Starting a Zoom call is still uncomfortable for me. The constant chiming of students logging into the Zoom call and my nerves surrounding a technical glitch ruminate in my mind. Instead of being poised, I try to laugh at myself, make jokes, and say every student's name as they enter the room. Slightly awkward elf-depreciation and embracing my vulnerabilities are part of my personality. Allowing that piece of me to come out on-screen shows students that it is okay to embrace your personality or laugh at the obstacles caused by low connectivity. We do not have to have it all together at every moment, and we might not love the world we are currently living in, but we still can show how we enjoy every moment we share with our students despite the present situation. Talking openly about our feelings, but modeling how to find the positives allows us to forge connections deeper than we realize. While they might be quiet in the full class Zoom conversations, they are watching, and they are getting to know us. They will open up - perhaps today or maybe tomorrow. When we show students our passions, interests, and personalities, they will respond. We can let our love of learning and all things "nerdy" shine.  


As John Green states, "Nerds like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff. Nerds are allowed to LOVE stuff, like, jump-up-and-down-in-your-chair-can't-control-yourself LOVE it." And you know what, John Green, when I see my students on Zoom or receive an email from them, metaphorically jump-up-and-down on screen I will because I love my students, and I am here to listen whenever they are ready to talk. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by @Steph_SMac