Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Hey, Google? What's new?




Something new seems to frequently appear in the world of educational technology, especially with Google Suites products. The conveniently placed "Send Feedback" button allows users to provide suggestions to Google that seem to be heard and applied frequently. These changes promote efficiency and encourage users to curate, collaborate, and create in innovative ways. For many teachers, Google evolves at an accessible pace, but with any change comes a learning curve, and some changes are more easily adopted than others. As I work on capturing what's new with Google into one HyperDoc, Pear Deck-powered presentation, I have been reflecting on what teachers might wish to know or may not have noticed about recent changes with Google. Effectiveness and ease of use matter to busy teachers, especially at the beginning of the school year. While I am still in the process of creating this presentation, I am excited to note Google updates that could support teachers by making grading faster, providing feedback increasingly meaningful, and collaborating more practical.

Here are a few tips and tricks that I have acquired in my recent searching:



Import Questions in Google Forms



Instead of having to remake a survey, delete questions, and then copy and paste questions from other subsequent copies of a previously used form, Forms now allows individuals to import previously created items. This process is as simple as selecting a button and then searching for the necessary form. Teachers who often use similar feedback survey forms or beginning of the year surveys can now create personalized forms using their best questions from previous forms.

This feature is also helpful when collaborating with colleagues. Sharing and collaborating on a Google Form can lead to unexpected problems such as accidentally changing questions or collecting unwanted data. Instead of sharing a form, I can simply import questions from a form that a colleague has created. I can then personalized questions and store my data in a Google Sheet that I own. While this addition seems minor, I have a feeling that it will be a popular new feature this fall.





Quiz Features in Google Forms


While this feature is not new, I am going to put greater emphasis on this feature this year. Last year, the Locked Mode for Google Forms Quizzes was glitchy. It was in beta, so naturally, a few kinks needed to be worked out by Google. Now, this feature is easy to turn on both in the settings in the form itself and in Google Classroom. This feature, along with shuffling questions, and choosing when to give feedback/graded quizzes to students, can help make formative assessments smoother in the classroom and can allow teachers to customize the quizzing experience. Reminding teachers that they have options and can find ways to save time may be beneficial, especially for those who have not explored those settings yet.

Comparison Feature in Google Docs



I love this feature for collaborating purposes. So often, teachers create common assessments or rubrics that are meant to be shared, however, every person's classroom functions differently, and students may have varying strengths or learning needs. As such, common assessments may be adjusted slightly to function more effectively for each classroom involved. The new comparison feature in Google Docs allows a person to compare two documents that might be copies or different versions of one another to note specific changes and comments made on the document. When looking to adjust an assignment from teacher to teacher or even from the same teacher from year to year can be helpful and informative. I have used this tool to compare syllabi from 2018 and 2019, and the noted changes allowed me to visualize how I was updated and revamping my units this year. I see many benefits when collaborating in professional learning groups and course teams. After working with this tool for a short time, I could see more uses being discovered.

Rubrics in Google Classroom




The rubric feature in Google Classroom is still in beta but seems to be working well. While I have not tested it out with students, I have played with building rubrics and attaching them to assessments. I love how simple this tool was to create and how helpful it can be for teachers looking to streamline the grading process by providing feedback to students faster and saving time in the process. One aspect of this feature that I wish was included would be to reuse a rubric, which I believe will be a feature that will be created soon. Although, if a teacher reused an assignment with the rubric already attached, the teacher could reuse the rubric. This hack may help some until this feature has been further developed by Google.

Google JamBoard




This tool is my literal JAM! JamBoard is an excellent mashup tool that combines features from Google Slides, Padlet, Pear Deck, and more. Students can create their JamBoard, they can collaborate on one JamBoard, and they can also complete a JamBoard template that teachers have created and assigned through Google Classroom. In an English class, this could be a great story-mapping tool or brainstorming exercise; in a social science course this could be a great mapping exercise or timeline creator; and in a STEM class, this tool could allow students to show their work while they solve equations. The possibilities for this flexible, shareable document are endless! Teachers who have used Google Drawing or Google Slides in creative ways may find this tool simpler for students to manipulate and complete desired tasks. I plan on finding creative ways to use this tool with students this fall. Also, this tool could be a great professional development and collaborative tool for teachers to use and share as well.

Google Docs Equations


My math and science friends have been incredibly patient with Google and found countless workarounds for their struggles with creating digital documents and assignments. They are among the most creative and tech-savvy people I know, but I am hoping that subtle updates to the Google Docs equations may make their Google-woes a little less heavy this year. Please, if you're a STEM person, share with me how these updates have helped or hindered your cause in the classroom!



While creating my PD HyperDoc, I know that I am leaving out a TON of valuable tips and tricks. New ones will inevitably be created by the time I deliver this presentation, too. My goals are not to provide all the answers, however. My goal instead is to guide people to resources and open up their minds to the possibilities of how they can use tools to enhance their students' experience in the classroom. Creating conversation leads to collaboration and creative expression! These qualities are valuable to the educational process. Happy Googling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by @Steph_SMac